Coconut oil is almost becoming the new “wonder” food. If you don’t know why coconut oil is a good fat, check out this article from The Weston Price Foundation, http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/541-new-look-at-coconut-oil.html. While you’re there, check out some of their other articles, too—fascinating information.
Now that you know how and why coconut oil is good for you, here are some ways to incorporate it into your everyday cooking and eating. If you are not in the habit of ingesting coconut oil, please do not take more than 1T. to start with.
- Add 1T. to hot cereals
- Add 1T. to smoothies
- Add 1T. to pancake batter
- Use when stir frying
- Use instead of butter when making muffins, cakes, cookies
- Use in place of butter on toast with jam
- Use in place of butter on cooked vegetables, baked potatoes or rice
- Use in place of oil, butter or shortening in recipes
- Use when sauteeing vegetables
- Add to coffee or tea
- Use in place of butter on popcorn
- Replace shortening with 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil in recipes
Let me know how you use coconut oil for cooking or eating in the comments below.