Sauteed Liver – The Nutritive King of Meats
I borrowed the subtitle for liver from my first nutritionist mentor (via books), Adelle Davis.
Obtain a healthy cow’s liver from your local farmer’s market or grocery store like Whole Foods Market.
Saute onions and/or bacon in butter, coconut oil, olive oil or lard for several minutes. Take those out of the pan and set aside.
Saute liver for 2-4 minutes. Do not overcook. Slight pink on the inside is o.k.
Add sauteed onions/bacon back to pan to re-heat them. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Eat and enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Variations and Optional Seasonings:
- soak first in lemon juice for several hours
- add basil and thyme
- add bell peppers, celery and oregano
- add diced tomatoes,bell peppers, oregano and basil
- use bacon, garlic, sour cream, paprika
- using both onions and bacon, add shredded carrots, thyme and parsley
- using both onions and bacon, add apples and paprika
- use sauteed mushrooms instead of onions or bacon
- dredge liver slices in whole wheat flour, salt & pepper prior to cooking it
For lots of information about liver and lots more recipes see this article from the Weston A. Price Foundation: