Lucky Bean Soup
This is a very hearty bean soup great for cold fall or winter evenings. Make up several batches of the dry ingredients ahead of time or even give as gifts.Please note that due to the large quantity of beans this may not be a suitable recipe if you are currently on a weight loss diet.
- 1/4 c. each dry yellow split peas, lentils, black beans, great northerns, pintos, baby limas and kidney beans
- 1/2 c. each dry green split peas, black eye peas, and navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 T. salt
- 1/3 c. dried minced onion
- 1 t. thyme
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. celery seed
- 1/2 t. basil
- 1/4-1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
Place all the beans in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add 2 quarts of water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes. Increase heat to medium. Cook uncovered for 15-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Makes 14 servings or 3 1/2 quarts.