God seems to take thanksgiving very seriously. Let’s look at what God says in scripture regarding thanksgiving.
It is the will of God to give thanks in everything.
In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thess. 5:18
Giving thanks for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Eph. 5:20
In everything we do, we are to give thanks to God.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Col. 3:17
Thanksgiving is to accompany all our prayer requests.
Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Phil. 4:6
God considers thanksgiving to be a sacrifice.
And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing. Ps. 107:22
God declares that giving thanks to Him is good.
It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High. Ps. 92:1
Making it practical.
Now we know how important it is to give thanks to God, now let’s look at a few ways to help make growing in thanksgiving practical in our lives.
1. First thing, always, is to ask God to help us be more grateful and trust that He will, in fact, help you.
2. Try to always look for the positive in every circumstance. Look for the blessing or lesson hiding in every situation. Thank God for those.
3. Regard everything as a gift from God and thank Him for it.
4. Set up reminders around your house, office and car to help you to be more grateful. These could be in the form of post-it-notes, index cards, screen savers or emails.
5. Refuse every thought of envy. Instead be content with what you have in all areas of life and be thankful towards God.
6. Keep a gratitude journal. Record five items you are grateful for everyday. Try not to have any repeats.
7. Pray for the poor and those less fortunate than you.
I hope and pray for you, dear reader, that you will have a day full of thanksgiving to God, this Thanksgiving Day and that you will continue to grow in thanksgiving to God.