Either you can’t seem to fit in the recommended 30-60 minute aerobic exercise all at one time or you are finding time for that but you are also making excuses later on, because you “already exercised today”. Either way, you can benefit from sneaking in more exercise into your day. Think movement and stretching. Also think, “every little bit counts”, because it’s true!
1. Whether you’re driving to work or to any errands, park farther away from the door than you normally would.
2. Whenever you have the opportunity to walk anywhere, walk faster than you normally do.
3. Take the stairs at every opportunity. Pass up the elevators and escalators.
4. Walk to the restroom at the farthest end of whatever building you find yourself in or to the restroom on another floor of the building.
5. Don’t do drive-thrus. Get out and walk in that bank, restaurant, drugstore.
6. Take up an active hobby such as gardening, bike riding, dancing, swimming, or any sport.
7. Do more housecleaning, car washing or yard work.
8. Play and walk with your dog, child, or grandchild more often.
9. Keep exercise equipment and clothes handy at home, in the car and at work. Put socks, sneakers and workout clothes in your car. Put socks, sneakers, and small dumbbells or exercise bands in your desk at work.
10. Walk briskly for 5-10 minutes on every break at work. Working from home? Make yourself take a walking break every 1-2 hours.
11. Sit on an exercise ball at the computer at home and at work.
12. Think up little exercises you can do during everyday activities and set them up as cues or reminders to do what you’ve planned ahead of time. For example:
- Every time you dress or undress do stretches to the ceiling, to the floor, to each side.
- During every TV commercial resolve to do crunches, pushups, or jumping jacks.
- When talking on the phone, walk around the room.
- At every stop light tighten and release your stomach muscles or buttock muscles or do kegels, or do all three!
- While brushing your teeth, stand on one leg.
- While waiting in any line, raise up on your toes several times.
13. Make some of your spiritual devotion time active. Do some prayerwalking instead of doing all your prayer while kneeling or sitting still. Get the Bible on mp3 so you can listen to it while you are walking or exercising on the fitness machine.
I hope you can see that there really are plenty of opportunities to sneak in more exercise. If you have any other great ideas, leave them in the comment section below.