Ways to Help Your Fellow Man
You can help, serve and minister to others with your prayers, your money, your time, your effort, your attention, your love. Here is a list of ideas (definitely not every way possible) to get you started.
1. Intercede for your family, your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers, your pastor, your elected officials, missionaries, Israel, persecuted Christians, the lost, other countries.
2. Find a missionary to support with your prayers and money. Check your local church or check this list of mission organizations.
3. Start a prayer group or Bible study in your house or place of employment for your neighborhood, co-workers, or friends.
4. Keep some cash set aside in a special place in your wallet or purse only to be used to give it away as the Holy Spirit leads you.
6. Pay for the person behind you in a fast food drive-through and tell the cashier to tell them it’s from Jesus.
7. Sign up to support a ministry. Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit but for ideas check out this list of Christian organizations.
10. Every time you go grocery shopping pick up a couple of extra cans, jars, boxes or bags of food and drop off at your local food bank.
11. Volunteer to help out once a month at your local rescue mission. Regularly donate new toiletry and clothing items there, too. To find your local rescue mission, check with your chamber of commerce or do a search for “rescue mission” along with the name of your town.
12. Take a homeless person a hot cooked meal.
13. Start or join your church’s group that delivers food to couples with newborns or others that are sick or needy.
14. Invite people over to dinner once a month who can’t repay you.
16. Volunteer in your local community. Find a place to volunteer here.
17. Be a friend. Offer to meet a new acquaintance for coffee or tea. Pray for them and listen well.
18. Fill the pediatric wing of your local hospital with coloring books, crayons and stuffed animals for the children.
19. Offer to babysit or houseclean for young mothers in your neighborhood or in your church.
21. Let people cut in front of you in cashier lines, drive through lines or on the road.
22. Hug someone (with their permission).
Click to tweet this George Bush quote.
“Prayer in action is love, and love in action is service. Try to give unconditionally whatever a person needs in the moment. The point is to do something, however small, and show you care through your actions by giving your time … We are all God’s children so it is important to share His gifts. Do not worry about why problems exist in the world – just respond to people’s needs … We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but that ocean would be less without that drop.“- Mother Teresa
“The cost of true greatness is humble, selfless, sacrificial service. The Christian who desires to be great and first in the kingdom is the one who is willing to serve in the hard place, the uncomfortable place, the lonely place, the demanding place, the place where he is not appreciated and may even be persecuted. Knowing that time is short and eternity is long, he is willing to spend and be spent. He is willing to work for excellence without becoming proud, to withstand criticism without becoming bitter, to be misjudged without becoming defensive, and to withstand suffering without succumbing to self pity.”- John MacArthur
Please share in the comments below what ways you are planning to help your fellow man in 2013. Scroll down to near the bottom and look for “leave a reply” or “leave a message”.
(c) 2013 Cheryl Cope